A journey from Fes over the Atlas Mountains to the Sahara Desert with camel trekking, a night in a Berber camp, sunset over the Erg Chebbi Dunes in Merzouga.
- One night camping in the middle of the desert.
- Camel trekking through the desert dunes.
- Sightseeing at the Mighty Atlas Mountains wits it's cedar forests.
- Drive along Ziz valley.
- Travel from Fez in a private vehicle.
- Hotel pickup and drop-off included.
Morocco Desert Travels’s driver, will pick you up from you hotel or Riad at 7 am for the fabulous journey up into the Middle Atlas mountains. Your first stop will be at the delightful town of Ifrane, built by the French in the 1930’s, and known as Morocco’s Switzerland because of its Alpine chalet-styled architecture and aspect. Next you will travel on through the huge cedar forests around the quaint, peaceful Berber town of Azrou, “The Rock” in the local Berber dialect, where the famous Barbary Apes, actually macaque monkeys, will be eager to share your lunch, in the heart of their natural habitat. Then, passing through the Atlas Mountains, that are said to hold up the sky, winding your way though forested peaks, twisting mountain streams and gushing springs and spectacular, jagged walls of rock, you will arrive at the important, Sahara’s edge town of Rissani, then, continuing on south, you will be amazed at the startlingly sudden appearance, as if by magic, of the Erg Chebbi sand dunes. These dunes are massive, up to 50 metres in height and extend eastwards all the way into the Algerian Sahara. Then enjoy an unforgettable ninety minute camel trek into the breathtaking sunset as you travel through the shifting sands before you arrive at a traditional Berber desert encampment to spend the night in a charming tent, surrounded by the mountainous dunes. Chill out and enjoy a delicious dinner while listening to the sweet strains of traditional Berber music until it is time to sleep underneath the myriad of glittering stars, so many and so bright that you feel you could almost reach out and touch them
An early start, as you are awoken to experience the splendour of the sun rising over the sand dunes, then you will ride your camel gently back to a hotel for breakfast, during which ride, you cannot fail to notice the shifting and changing of the shadows cast by the dunes, lengthening and shrinking as the day progresses. After breakfast, the journey back to Fes through the Mighty Middle Atlas Mountains.
- Transport in a comfortable A/C vehicle (a 4x4 or Mini Van).
- Pick up and drop off at your accommodation.
- English speaking driver.
- Pleasant overnight accommodation in Kasbahs and hotels.
- Half board (dinner and breakfast).
- Sahara Desert camel trekking with an experienced guide and an overnight stay in a Berber camp.
- Sightseeing and photo opportunities in the Middle Atlas mountains, the Erg Chebbi Dunes and more!
- Lunch and drinks.
- Small admission charge for some monuments.